First and Only Water-free Drug Delivery Technology
Novaliq’s innovative EyeSol® drug delivery technology is based on novel and exclusive water-free excipients which have been established and validated as key ingredients for innovative ophthalmic products:
- the technology platform is disruptive and IP protected.
- the pipeline is rich with first-in-class candidates for dry eye, glaucoma and retinal diseases.
- the technology is clinically proven to be safe and effective.
- Novaliq has generated a broad range of clinical and pre-clinical data to confirm safety, tolerability, efficacy and comfort.
How does the EyeSol® drug delivery technology work?
Our EyeSol® technology enhances traditionally water-insoluble or unstable drugs resulting in:
- eye drops with better and higher solubility, stability, bioavailability, safety and comfort;
- overcoming the limitations of water-based drug instabilities;
- formulations that are always water-free and therefore preservative-free;
- better penetration in tissues;
- better drug delivery, efficacy and longer retention;
- multi-dose presentations;
- small drop size, excellent spreading.
Our fast and proven drug development process increases success and time to market.
What is special about EyeSol®?
EyeSol® is based on specific semifluorinated alkanes (SFAs). These compounds have the same refractive index as water and are transparent, inert, non-toxic, amphiphilic liquids that are able to formulate lipophilic and large molecules, such as biologic agents. Because they have very low surface tension and viscosity, SFAs dispense as a low volume drop (<12 µL) that does not stimulate blinking or reflex tearing. Having both low surface tension and low interface tension, EyeSol® products spread rapidly over the ocular surface and form a flat, transparent monolayer that enables clear vision without blurring. Because of their amphiphilic nature, EyeSol® products also interact with tear film lipids and have been shown to stabilize and restore the tear film.
Being aqueous-free, EyeSol® products avoid hydrolytic and oxidative reactions that can degrade active pharmaceutical ingredients, thus improving product stability. In addition, the aqueous-free EyeSol® technology platform does not support microbial growth, and therefore it allows manufacturing of preservative-free formulations in multi-dose containers. It also avoids problems of tip clogging that can occur with suspensions.
What are the benefits of the technology?
Novaliq’s disruptive, IP protected EyeSol® technology platform enables our partners to
- get access to innovative products to protect, treat and manage ocular diseases for increased effectiveness and better stability.
- formulate and stabilize a wide range of APIs, including macromolecules and proteins.
- enable poorly soluble APIs by utilizing a new kind of drug delivery.
 ARVO 2018, Poster: Ocular and Systemic Distribution of 14C-Perfluorohexyloctane following Topical Ocular Administration to Rabbits
 Agarwal et al. Semifluorinated alkane based systems for enhanced corneal penetration of poorly soluble drugs